I was admitted to the Oregon Bar in 1997 and to the Washington Bar in 2006. I served as judicial clerk to Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Otto R. Skopil in 1997 and 1998. Until the end of 2013, I was a partner at Stoel Rives LLP, a large law firm headquartered in Portland, Oregon. At Stoel Rives I was trained in real estate, natural resources permitting, and water law. I developed special expertise in waterway navigability, ownership, and boundaries. I opened my own small practice on January 1, 2014.
When I left the large law firm environment, I lowered my expenses and lowered my rates so that I could be more affordable to individuals and small businesses, as well as to large corporations. Now I represent a mix of clients, big and small, and I offer them large-firm expertise and training—but at small-firm prices.
I earned a B.A., magna cum laude, from the Robert D. Clark Honors College at the University of Oregon in 1986, and a Master’s degree in English literature from the University of Oregon in 1988. I received my J.D., magna cum laude, in 1997 from the Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, where I graduated first in my class.
- “River Channels and Lake Beds: Legal Issues in Boundaries and Ownership,” 57th Annual Institute Proceedings, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, 2011.
- Coauthor, “Marine and Hydrokinetic Energy Lease Agreements,” The Law of Marine and Hydrokinetic Energy: A Guide to Business and Legal Issues, Stoel Rives LLP, Vol. 4, 2011.
- “Entitlement, Water Resources, and the Common Good,” 18 Willamette Journal of International Law and Dispute Resolution 143, 2010.
- “CWA Wetlands Jurisdiction,” The Water Report, July 15, 2006.
- Coauthor, “Fractured Court Fails to Clarify Scope of Wetlands Regulation,” California Real Estate Journal, July 3, 2006.
- “Federal Wetlands Jurisdiction,” Oregon Insider, July 1, 2006.
- Coauthor, “Running Interference: Groundwater and Related Features of State Regulation,” Lava Law: Legal Issues in Geothermal Energy Development, Stoel Rives LLP, 2004.
- Coauthor, “Environmental and Natural Resources Law,” 2003 Oregon Legislative Highlights, Oregon CLE, 2003.
- “Navigability and Public Use: Charting a Course Up the Sandy River,” 38 Willamette Law Review 93, 2002.
- Coauthor, “Water Rights and Transactions,” Fundamentals of Real Estate Transactions § 11, 2001.
- Coauthor, “Endangered Species Act Enforcement and Western Water Law,” 30 Environmental Law 735, 2000.*
- Coauthor, “Water Law: What Real Estate Lawyers Need to Know,” Growth and Development Issues in Real Estate and Land Use 31, 1999.
- Comment, “Wheelchair Accessibility in Wilderness Areas: The Nexus Between the ADA and the Wilderness Act,” 25 Environmental Law 1243, 1995.
* Winner of 2001 Burton Award for Legal Achievement.
- “Redundancy, Obfuscation, and Redundancy: Writing Advice from the Trenches,” Real Estate and Land Use Fall Forum, Tigard, Oregon, 2014.
- “Correlative Rights, the Rule of Capture, & Other Common Law Tales,” Geothermal Resources Council Pre-Meeting Workshop, Portland, Oregon, 2014.
- “Language and Bias: Using Etymology to Understand Ourselves,” Oregon New Lawyers Division “Super Saturday CLE,” Portland, Oregon, 2013.
- “Water Boundaries and Waterway Ownership,” Professional Land Surveyors of Oregon Annual Conference, Salem, Oregon, 2013.
- “Water in the Courts: PPL Montana—State Ownership of Streambeds,” Oregon Water Law Conference, Portland, Oregon, 2012.
- “Water Boundaries and Navigability,” Professional Land Surveyors of Oregon Annual Conference, Portland, Oregon, 2012.
- “PPL Montana v. Montana: Practical Implications of the Supreme Court’s First Navigability-for-Title Decision Since 1971,” Law Seminars International Telebriefing, 2012.
- “Waterways and Water Boundaries: Legal Issues for Professional Land Surveyors,” Professional Land Surveyors of Oregon (day-long workshop), Albany, Oregon, 2011.
- “River Channels and Lake Beds: Legal Issues in Boundaries and Ownership,” 57th Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 2011.
- “Waterway Navigability and Its Land Title Implications,” Stoel Rives Seminar, Portland, Oregon, 2010.
- “Ownership and Boundary Issues on Oregon Water Bodies,” Oregon Lakes Association Annual Meeting, Corvallis, Oregon, 2010.
- “Intersection of State Lands and Water,” Oregon Water Law Conference, Portland, Oregon, 2008.
- “Tribal Perspectives on Land Ownership and Environmental Stewardship” (moderator), Oregon Lakes Association Annual Meeting, Wallowa Lake, Oregon, 2008.
- “Federal Regulations, Leasing and Unitization” (panelist), Geothermal Development and Finance Workshop, Las Vegas, Nevada, 2008.
- “Problems & Solutions in the Law of Submerged and Submersible Lands,” Oregon Water Law Conference, Portland, Oregon, 2007.
- “Geothermal Land, Lease and Unit Legal Issues,” Geothermal Resources Council Workshop, Reno, Nevada, 2007.
- “Upper Klamath Lake: State Ownership and Authorization Requirements,” Oregon Lakes Association Annual Meeting, Diamond Lake, Oregon, 2007.
- “Recent Developments in the Law of Submerged and Submersible Lands,” Oregon Water Law Conference, Portland, Oregon, 2006.
- “Water Boundaries in Oregon and Washington,” Pacific Northwest Regional Conference, Portland, Oregon, 2006.
- “Water Law 101,” Oregon Water Law Conference, Portland, Oregon, 2005.